Northern School of Contemporary Dance is seeking applications for CATAPULT, a year-long professional development opportunity for an emerging dance maker, creative partnership or collective based in Yorkshire.
The programme, which includes a £3,000 bursary to support professional development, aims to support the creative practice and strategic development of the artist(s) with a focus on:
• developing and presenting new artistic work
• raising the profile of the artist(s) in the region and beyond
• implementing strategies to transition from training to industry
• establishing core organisational skills.
The programme commences in October 2019 and runs until September 2020.
CATAPULT is funded through the National Lottery and delivered by NSCD as a National Portfolio Organisation of Arts Council England, in partnership with Spin Arts.
NSCD and Spin Arts particularly encourage applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently underrepresented in the arts.Application Pack Submit Application
What we can offer:
Creative business advice and management
Producing and business advice from Spin Arts. Services include:
• 10 days of free rehearsal space at NSCD (at times to be pre-agreed around the School Schedule)
• Access to Meeting rooms at NSCD (to be arranged as above)
• Access to NSCD’s Riley Theatre – an opportunity to present new work or work-in-progress
• Artistic Mentoring, Technical and Marketing support at Riley Theatre, by NSCD staff
• A bursary of £3,000 to support theatre trips, promotional material, professional development and artistic mentoring.
• Networking and shadowing opportunities
In return the artist(s) will be asked to:
• Act as an advocate for the CATAPULT programme, NSCD and Spin Arts
• Attend training events, conferences or performances on their behalf
• Share their practice or learning with the local community or local professional community
• Discuss and write a project agreement, outlining aims & objectives prior to being awarded a £3,000 bursary
• Present new work or work-in-progress a minimum of once during the 12 month programme
• Recipients are required to write a final evaluation report, reflecting on achievements and challenges
In order to apply artists should have:
• Graduated from a dance programme at degree or postgraduate level or equivalent study within the last five years and will have spent at least one year outside training (i.e. graduated between 2014 – 2018)
• Evidence that they are based, living and/or working in Yorkshire, or may have come to study in Yorkshire, and can demonstrate a commitment to the region
• A demonstrable passion and talent for dance choreography that is conceptually relevant to the society that we live in
• A track record of being pro-active, self-motivated and committed to the development of their practice, and a willingness to engage with others in the process of developing and reaching an audience
• A commitment to making at least one new work during the 12-month programme.
Artists are required to submit the following by Sunday 8th September (noon) to email@example.com
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.orgSUBMIT APPLICATION
Wednesday 24th July: Applications open
Sunday 8th September (noon): Closing date for applications
Friday 13th September: Shortlisting stage
Wednesday 25th September: Interviews
The programme starts Tuesday 1st October 2018 and runs until September 2020.
“CATAPULT was absolutely crucial to getting Gracefool off the ground and we almost certainly wouldn’t be where we are today without it.”
"Being a CATAPULT artist has been invaluable to my work. CATAPULT gave me support, advice and really got the ball rolling to help further develop my practice."
Header Ham and Passion by Carlos Pons Guerra, DeNada Dance & CATAPULT Artist 2013 © Boneshaker Photography
Page Windows of Displacement by Akeim Toussaint Buck, CATAPULT Artist 2018 © Priganica Photography (1), Ham and Passion by Carlos Pons Guerra, DeNada Dance & CATAPULT Artist 2013 © Boneshaker Photography (2), This really is too much by Gracefool Collective, CATAPULT Artist 2014 © Lidia Crisafulli (3)
Artist Testimonials (l-r) Carlos Pons Guerra © Josh Hawkins, Gracefool Collective © Maria Alzamora, Crystal Zillwood © Josh Hawkins